BlOG

Visit the Emerald Aisle

March 15, 2017 - Nutrition

Greens, greens, greens… St. Patty’s day, the Profile way!

Smack dab in the middle of March is St. Patrick’s Day, and it’s likely all of your friends will be celebrating by chowing down on things that don’t fit into your Profile plan. But March is also Nutrition Month, and fresh green produce brings loads of benefits to your health. if you stock up on veggies, you can maintain your resolve, and celebrate along with your friends by chowing down on nutritious foods that are all Profile (and leprechaun) approved!

  • Broccoli: This fiber-rich food is good for your heart, and can help lower cholesterol. Broccoli also helps eliminate toxins and other unwanted compounds from your body.
  • Spinach: This leafy green is readily available year round. It contains iron and potassium, as well as vitamins A, K, C, and B-vitamin folate. Spinach may also boost your immune system and guard against certain cancers.
  • Avocados: You might be inclined to call it a vegetable since it’s green, but the avocado is technically a fruit. This fruit is rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which may help raise good cholesterol levels, while actually lowering bad cholesterol. (A Profile serving is ¼ cup.)
  • Kale: This nutrition powerhouse has enjoyed a surge of popularity lately, showing up in smoothies, as a snack chip, and on its own. One cup contains 3g of protein, 206% RDA of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and just 33 calories.
  • Green Beans: These are a delicious, and nutritious vegetable with antioxidant properties which means they are great at fighting off disease. Research has also shown that they are beneficial to your cardiovascular health. (Limit yourself to ½ cup per day to stay within your plan.)
  • Asparagus: At one time this nutritious spear was considered to be a delicacy. The major benefit of eating asparagus is its unique anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains a nutrient that helps the blood clot to heal wounds.
  • Basil: This herb contains anti-bacterial properties. It’s also rich in vitamin K, iron, calcium, vitamin A and other essential vitamins and minerals.
  • Celery: This cruciferous veggie is made up of 95% water, making it the least calorie dense veggie you can buy! But the remaining mighty 5% helps reduce inflammation, aids digestion and reduces bad cholesterol.
  • Cucumbers: This is the fourth most widely cultivated vegetable in the world, behind tomatoes, cabbage and onions. These belong to the same botanical family as melons and squashes and have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
  • Zucchini: This squash is an important source of antioxidants. It’s a great source of potassium+B vitamins AND low in calories.
  • Cabbage: This versatile vegetable can be eaten and cooked in a variety of ways. Cabbage can help reduce inflammation and has been shown to protect against colon cancer.
  • Brussels Sprouts: These miniature cabbages are a great way of incorporating soluble fiber, and high amounts of vitamin C into your diet.

Need some inspiration? Try some of our leprechaun approved Profile recipes!

Profile Shamrock Shake 

shamrock-shake

Lime-Cucumber Salad

lime-cucumber-salad

Profile Zucchini Straws

zucchini-straws

Roasted Asparagus with Garlic-Lime Sauce

roasted-asparagus

When you’re on the Profile Plan, your favorite section of the grocery store has got to be the produce aisle. It’s usually the first section of the store you encounter, and also the most economical, when you think about it in terms of cost per nutrient! Steer your cart in the direction of the Emerald Aisle this month and take advantage of some of the greener choices. We guarantee it will help you fit in your four cups of veggies each day!

ATTEND A DISCOVERY SESSION

Not near a Profile location? Attend a virtual discovery session from anywhere. Learn More