Holiday Spiced Banana Bread
Click Here for Downloadable Version of this Recipe
Number of Servings: 16
Serving Size: 1 slice
- 2/3 cup equivalent of brown sugar (like brown sugar blend for baking)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, browned
- 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, plain and unsweetened
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute, or 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 T ground flax seed
- 1 T molasses
- 1 T cider vinegar
- 3 small very ripe bananas
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Brown butter over medium high heat occasionally swirling the pan until a light amber color; watch closely as butter will burn easy.
- Set aside to cool slightly and then add to a large mixing bowl, browned butter, fat free Greek Yogurt, and brown sugar substitute. Stir well.
- Add egg substitute, black strap molasses, cider vinegar, and ground flax seed and blend well. Finally add the smashed bananas and blend until creamy.
- To a small bowl add the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to creamy mixture and stir lightly to combine; do not over mix or dough will be tough.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool completely for 5 minutes and then flip over to remove from pan. Cool completely and then wrap in foil. Store in refrigerator, can be warmed before
Optional Healthy Additions: 1 cup wild blueberries, 1 cup crushed pineapple, 2 kiwis smashed
Profile Exchange: 1 starch, 1 free food
Photo courtesy of: Smitten Kitchen